Project: Musculoskeletal Serviceline Assessment and Business Plan
Strategic Assessment and Planning
Center of Excellence Development
Although Rockingham Memorial Hospital (RMH) offered more than a dozen subspecialties, it struggled to distinguish its physicians and services in a crowded marketplace. RMH needed help positioning its services and prioritizing and sequencing potential service line opportunities.
• Collaborated with the director of planning to conduct a clinical and a financial analysis of each of the hospital’s current and proposed musculoskeletal services
• Recognizing the power of primary care, Vega specifically sought unvarnished feedback from multiple primary care physicians (private and employed) about RMH’s services and incorporated their perspectives into program recommendations
• Applied Core Elements of Excellence metrics to distinguish between current and best practices
• Applied financial, clinical, demographic and performance data and used this to define near- and mid-term developmental priorities
• Shared findings with all stakeholders to create an atmosphere of collaboration and trust.
Vega delivered a comprehensive report of assessments and recommendations and, as of fourth quarter 2010, Rockingham was in the process of carrying out a number of key recommendations. RMH continues to use the Report and Recommendations to guide ongoing strategy.
Rockingham Memorial Hospital engaged Patrick Vega to conduct an assessment and develop a musculoskeletal services business plan. The assessment process and business plan were well-rounded, incorporated 13 musculoskeletal subspecialties and enlisted more than 40 primary care physicians and specialists. Patrick reached out to and sought critical input from RMH leadership, medical staff and key stakeholders.
The report captured both the strategic integration of musculoskeletal services and professionals as well as providing a balanced representation of the interests of both employed and private practice specialists. Through his insights and presentation of the assessment and business plan data, Patrick immeasurably helped us define an organizational and implementation model that can be replicated as we move to develop additional musculoskeletal subspecialty services.
Patrick’s expertise, comprehensive perspective and approachable manner made the engagement rewarding and practical as we have begun executing one of the critical foundational recommendations.
Director of Planning and New Business Development
Rockingham Memorial Hospital